Friday, July 23, 2010

Book Review

submitted by Melissa Terry, Mason and Virgina


Stitch’N Bitch Crochet –The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller

I am an avid crocheter, and love to talk to people about crochet. The most common response when talking to someone who has tried crocheting is “I am having a hard time getting it, the book I have is so confusing.” So, when I come across a product or an idea that is life changing, I can’t help but want to share! Time for me to interject my life changing experience with 
Stitch’ N Bitch Crochet; The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller.

I had been crocheting for about 7 years when I bought this book.  I had taught myself how to crochet by reading various pamphlets and beginners books, which meant I was able to get the basic concepts, but when it came to little details I was lost.  I came across the Happy Hooker at the library and checked it out 3 or 4 times before I finally broke down and bought it.  The information it gives in unlike any other crochet book.

This book is wonderful at illustrating the basics of crochet, with helpful drawings and funny headings such as “Secrets of the Yarn-Yarn Sisterhood” and “I Like Big Buttons and I Cannot Lie.”  It has easy to read charts that give you a quick references for yarn weights, stitch abbreviations and how many stitches to put in your turning chain...something I have always had trouble with!

One of the other great aspects of this books is the collection of modern crochet patterns within.  While Debbie Stoller is the author of this book, you will find that the patterns in this book are an assortment of unique items by various crochet artists, everything from bags and hats to a crocheted bikini and twine doormats. 

This past fall my boyfriend asked me if I could make a baby hat for his friend’s new daughter.  I had never attempted a hat, so I flipped open the Happy Hooker and found a great pattern for an earflap hat.  The hat went over so well that it pushed me to finally begin selling my crochet work. 
I believe that you will find that this book is well worth the price.  It is packed full of 40 original patterns and easy to understand instructions.  Knitters, you aren't forgotten! Check out Stoller’s Stitch N’ Bitch Nation; The Knitter’s Handbook. 

1 comment:

  1. I have the Stitch-n-Bitch Knitting book and love it! My favorite pattern is the baby blanket. I've made it mutliple times and love it!!

    http://eatdrinkanddecorate.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-have-been-busy.html

    ReplyDelete